This is an exciting, hands on project based programme covering the practical skills involved in preparing a building or construction site for excavation, learning compaction and paving.
The course also introduces you to geological knowledge, important site safety and leads to learning about the safe operation of machinery such as diggers, dozers and rollers.
In block course format, 80% of your learning will be on site.
If you are interested in a career in operating construction machinery, building , forestry, mining or general skilled labouring, this is the course for you.
|Credits:||Level 2 & 3: 30|
|Duration:||This is a 1 year programme|
|Timetable:||4, week long block courses over Terms 1, 2 and 3|
|Provider||Tai Poutini Polytechnic|
What you learn:
- Demonstrate correct use of hand tools for infrastructure works, and clean and store tools
- Carry out pre-start and shutdown procedures on a generator
- For small machinery used on infrastructure works sites: select maintenance tools, fuel, and lubricants; carry out maintenance checks; and clean up and store tools and materials
- Demonstrate knowledge of materials and equipment for interlocking pavers for infrastructure works; prepare for laying pavers; place and embed pavers under supervision; and clean-up site
- Identify and describe infrastructure works materials and compaction; prepare for compacting operations; accept and hand spread materials; and assist with compaction of materials
- Demonstrate knowledge of rocks and minerals
- Civil Construction Worker
- Digger Operator
- Mining operator
- Forestry worker
Further study options:
- New Zealand Certificate in Infrastructure Works
- (Level 3) with optional strand in Plant Operation