New for 2021 – New Zealand fisheries management is recognised as one of the most sustainable in the world and the fishing industry on the West Coast is a thriving and supportive industry.
Job opportunities in commercial fishing are vast and our West Coast fishing companies are looking for eager young people to recruit and develop for long term, rewarding jobs.
Our West Coast Commercial Fishing programme will teach you the skills you need to enter a career on a commercial fishing boat. You will learn shore based skills to teach you what it takes to become a successful fishing operator. There are many career pathways you can take from here – maybe you will end up as a skipper of your own boat crew, or move into a land based role in seafood retail, sales or management?
|Credits:||Between 15 and 22 credits|
|Duration:||This is a 1 year programme|
|Timetable:||1 week block course in February then, 9am to 3pm Fridays|
|Provider||Westport Deep Sea Fishing School & North Beach Fishing Ltd|
What you learn:
- Vital industry health and safety
- Essential communication skills including understanding fishing terminologies
- How to follow important instructions on board a commercial fishing vessel
- Skills for fixing fishing nets
- Equipment repair and maintenance
- Loading, unloading and fish stacking skills
- Commercial Fishing Deck hand leading to supervisory and skipper jobs
- Fish processing roles
- Seafood Retail or sales
Further study options:
- Certificate in Commercial Fishing (Level 3)
- Certificate in Seafood Processing (Level 3)
- Commercial Skipper Licence
- New Zealand Certificate in Fishing Vessel Crewing (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Domestic Maritime Operations (Level 4)