This programme will get you started on a career in building, and is hands-on, project based learning designed to give you skills in the building and construction sector. You will learn how to use and manage hand tools, power tools and machinery; and build decks, utility buildings, garden furniture and other items.
There is a high need for qualified builders in New Zealand and with the skills you gain through your Trades programme and by completing your NCEA level 2 qualifications at school you will highly employable. After completing this certificate you could become an apprentice with a building or construction business, or go on to study in a range of areas including carpentry, level 3 and 4 programmes.
|Duration:||34 weeks per year, this is a 2 year programme|
|Timetable:||9am - 3pm Friday: Year 1|
9am - 3pm Thursday: Year 2
|Provider||Tai Poutini Polytechnic|
What you learn:
- How to manage hand tools, power tools and machinery
- Build decks, utility buildings, garden furniture and other items
- Develop trade sketches and drawings
- Building apprenticeship
- Construction sites
- Paving and landscaping
- Concreting and bricklaying
- Painting and decorating
Further Study Options:
- Certificate in Carpentry (Residential and Commercial) (Level 3)
- National Certificate in Carpentry (Level 4)
- National Certificate in Joinery with strands in Cabinetry, Exterior Joinery and Stairs
- Check out the 2018 Programme PDF Guide here!
- Talk to your school Trades Academy co-ordinator or careers advisor