The skills, knowledge and experience from this two year programme will help you to determine whether you are interested in a career in agriculture or other industry sectors.
The programme will cover health and safety requirements in the workplace, fencing, milking and practical on-farm work placements.
This programme leads you into a wide range of options including the second year of agriculture with the Trades Academy. After completing the second year of the programme you will have the skills and the knowledge to be employed as a farm labourer, gain a farming apprenticeship or work as a fencing contractor.
|Duration:||34 weeks per year, this is a 2 year programme|
|Timetable:||Friday 9am to 3pm|
|Provider||Tai Poutini Polytechnic|
What you learn:
- Health and safety in the rural sector
- Identifying and maintaining fencing tools and equipment
- Knowledge of primary sector
- Installing electric fences
- Replacing fence posts and repairing wires
- Monitoring and interpretation of weather
- Preparing for milking and milking under supervision
- Farm labouring
- Farm assistant
- Dairy labouring
- Farm apprenticeships
- Fencing contracting
- Westland Milk Products Cadet Programme
Further Study Options:
- National Certificate in Agriculture (General Skills) (Level 3)
- National Certificate in Agriculture (Level 4)
- Diploma in Agriculture (Level 5)
- Diploma in Farm Management (Level 5)
- Check out the 2018 Programme PDF Guide here!
- Talk to your school Trades Academy co-ordinator or careers advisor