A programme of introductory cookery with relevant theory and practical learning is the start of a career where you can work all over the West Coast, New Zealand or overseas. Employment options include kitchen hand, chef or cook. Further training options include Professional Culinary Arts Level 4 and 5, or there are specialised training options such as patisserie, baking or butchery.
Our commercial kitchens are equipped to a high standard to cater for all your learning needs. Check out West Coast Trades Academy on Facebook to see what cookery students prepare during their training.
During the course students are introduced to specialist cooking areas such as baking, fish filleting, commercial catering as well as learning about food safety and expanding their knowledge of culinary products.
|Duration:||This is a 1 year programme|
|Timetable:||Monday 9am - 3pm, Westport Level 2 and 3|
Friday 9am - 3pm, Greymouth
|Ends:||November 2020, Westport|
November 2020, Greymouth
|Provider||Tai Poutini Polytechnic and Buller High School – Westport|
Tai Poutini Polytechnic – Greymouth
What you learn:
- Beginner cookery
- Cooking food by baking, boiling, poaching, steaming and grilling
- Participating in a group/team
- Apply safe working practices in a commercial kitchen
- Clean food production areas and equipment
- Handle and maintain knives in a commercial kitchen
- Entry to NZ Hospitality Championships
- Kitchen hand
Further Study Options:
- Certificate in Professional Culinary Arts (Level 4)
- Diploma in Professional Culinary Art Level 5 (this qualification incorporates London City and Guilds qualifications).